View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: A fine reason to ban weapons

[ QUOTE ]
I accept that you think my changes are not beneficial and that's fine, but tell me I'm full of crap rather than throw that tired 'it's in the constitution' argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to be civil, something that does not come naturally to us in the colonies, so I will cut to the chase. Yes, you are full of crap.

The reason is that you are trying to impose your view on others without justification. Abortion is a major issue here, also with people trying to impose their views on others. The pro-life people who are trying to impose their views on others at least have the justification or excuse that they believe that they are morally correct, and that abortion is morally wrong.

People who would ban guns don't even try to justify it on moral grounds (because they can't make any case for it). They just say that they don't believe that people should have guns, or it is their educated opinion, or that they would feel safer, or there would be fewer accidental shootings, or etc., etc.

Which gets us to the bottom line, which is that my guns are none of your business. Nothing personal, but if what I do in my house does not have any impact on you except to increase your paranoia, and if I am not breaking any laws, then it is none of your business. (I will ignore the issue of victimless crimes for now.)

There is nothing moral or immoral about a gun. It is a tool, an inanimate object. The only possible moral issue is in its use, which is a function of the decisions and actions of the owner. My use of a gun, to the extent that it affects you, is certainly your business. My ownership of a gun is my business, and your opinions and beliefs are irrelevant.