View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Question for Canada guys with Poker ONLY income who pay child sup

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm really weirded out by this... I mean, if you stop paying child support all together, is that really a legally Good reason to deny you access to your son? It just doesn't make sense. How the hell are these support payments and child access being discussed in the same courtroom? It totally floors me... like, I'd even advise you to have two lawyers, one specializing in custody and the other specializing in support:

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not a lawyer...

But, I think breaking the terms of the custody arrangement by not paying the agreed upon child support is grounds for amending the custody agreement and denying or restricting access.

Likewise, if the child support payments are based on income level, then hiding income is the same as breaking the agreement. It sounds to me this is what the ex-wife thinks is happening. Documentation from the accountant consulted and the ruling from the Canadian Revenue Service (or whatever it's called) should go a long ways toward clearing things up with the judge.

Note: OP poster said he has paid child support right along. I'm not suggesting that denying access in his case is justified. But, I disagree with DavidC about custody and access being unrelated to paying agreed upon child support.