View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Catholic Church admits parts of the Bible are false

Of course the newspaper article is a sensationalized version of what the Church actually came out with. As any newspaper article the headlines are always written to attract attention (and controversy too if possible - sells more papers with follow up article). Anyone who is seriously interested in what the Catholic Bishops in England have written should read the actual text and not rely on one writer’s slanted versions of the actual teaching document. ( I am not positive, but it sounds like the document is the work of scholars in England, as opposed to being “published“ at the Vatican. I am sure it does not disagree with the Vatican. The headline certainly is misleading at any rate. I haven’t yet read the actual text, yet. It should only confirm what I already know. I‘ll post later if I find anything noteworthy.)

For some of us this is probably old news , but apparently the Bishops in England have put together an interesting and pragmatic document it seems, in my opinion. The publication, also, should shed some light to those who know little of the Catholic Church.

For those of us more familiar with the Catholic and Protestant Churches a bigger story I hope is not to follow. Catholics and Protestants have relatively, recently (since Vatican II in the early ’60s maybe, not really sure when discussions started) been trying to “reconcile” their differences. That is, not to merge into one Church per se, but to have more ecumenical dialogues and workings together. Hopefully, this document will not open further the “wounds” between our Churches. Had it not originated in England (instead of the Vatican, if that is the case), I would not have an iota skepticism. But, the fact remains that the Church of England and its “sister” Church here in the U.S., the Episcopal Churches, are probably the closest to each other in terms of liturgy than Catholics are to other denominations. Generally speaking, in terms of theology, The Lutheran Church is relatively close to the Catholic Church, too, it is my understanding. But, I digress. I don’t know enough about the Anglicans (Church of England) to know it this documents creates any problems for them. I trust there is no inter-Church subtext to this document. And hopefully it is just my cautious nature to worry about such things.

Bluff, NotReady, bigdaddy, et al any thoughts in this regard?

Chez and mack in England keep us posted.