View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: A theoretical baseball question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me also add that this year, Pujols hit .419 when ahead in the count (no specific count, just ahead) and Mark Teixeira hit .417. Some of these situations (like 2-0 and 3-1) they were undoubtedly lookign fastball, but 1-0, 2-1, etc. they could not look for one pitch yet they were able to to hit well over .400. I have little doubts that this would easily push .500 if they knew the pitch as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think these guys could do some damage, you are right.

what do you think about christian guzman (miserable hitter) and all of the call-ups and 40-man guys? do you think they are going to hit well enough to keep the league avg at .400?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Guzman is pathetic.. he hit .265 in this situation.

But look at some others in the same situation...

David Dellucci - .376
Coco Crisp - .374
Jason Ellison - .372
Raul Ibanez - .371
Garrett Atkins - .365
Emil Brown - .359

None of these guys are exactly strike fear in a pitcher, although Dellucci, Crisp, and Ibanez are "quality" players.

Also, I never said the league avg would be .400, my guess was somewhere around .350 for league.

edit - OK I originally said 100-150 pts higher (lg avg), but I brought that down a bit in another post after I though about it some more. I said 75 - 125 or so (I think) would be more practical although 125 would definately be on the higher end. .350 would seem about right.