View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: A fine reason to ban weapons

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't try to eliminate stupidity and incompetence through legislation

[/ QUOTE ]

You are joking, right. Is it just luck we all drive on the right? That we stop at a red light? Are the certificates on my doctors wall just decoration? He has to have them to pratice, right? And the thousands of other jobs and activities where legislation has been enacted to protect against incompetance, all just a conspiracy to make lawyers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not going to argue the point about driving on the right...I am not an anarcho-capitalist.

However...regarding your statement about doctors and other jobs with legislation and such to protect against incompetence: the free market would just as efficiently weed out the bad apples, and here's why...

Hypothetical Example:
Anyone can practice medicine. No license is required. However, most people feel that their money is better spent with the guy who has eight years of training under his belt. Therefore, the people without licenses fade away, unless they are able to make up the difference some other way. Either way, the system balances out, because people cannot afford to do otherwise.

But...I don't expect you to buy into that theory. I would like to challenge your belief that government legislation breeds competence. No entity on the planet is more incompetent or inefficient than government.