View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Trips vs LAG 100NL facing all in

[ QUOTE ]
true, of course I knew i was a dog. But its the same reason you would call with a hand like 78s--first of all I have position. Second of all he will misplay the hand, and I will play it well!!
I know im a dog and yes he did have KK and maybe I shoulda folded river.
Heres a question--how often does AJo outflop QQ+?
Lets say the flop comes JJ2, I saw him just push (probably AA or KK but ill never know) 3.50$ to make 96.50$ more?
personally I think this call could have been +ev : )

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think you're a bit confused on this concept. The difference between calling raises with 78s and a hand like AJo is a concept known as "reverse implied odds". What this basically means is that hands such as AJ can make decent (top-pair type) hands that might be tough to get away from when villain has you crushed. 78s is the type of hand that's going to be easy to get away from when you a 1 pair type hand and your losses will be minimal, whereas your wins (when you hit a big hand) have the potential to be villain's stack.

If villain is a maniac preflop and postflop, then I play the hand exactly the same as you did. There's no sense in pushing that turn to "protect" against a 2 outer. You'll make way more in the continued river bluffs and river bets from hands this maniac thinks are the best.

If villain's preflop range is really only AA, KK and QQ then preflop you must fold.

Do a search for reverse implied odds for a better explanation than I've given here.

KoW