View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Catholic Church admits parts of the Bible are false

okay, so, are any of you catholic? Im now an atheist, but I step up to bat for my former churcb because of the bashing it seems to attract to itself.

first... the catholic church has said for a long long time that the bible isn't literal, but that its point is easily discernable(sp?).

second, the idea that one fallacy makes the entire book false is a ridiculous idea... that would be like saying that if the constitution had a flaw in it, its entirety becomes false. Maybe if the Catholic Church stated that Jesus didn't literally die on the cross, or somesuch, I could see your point.

Next, someone mentioned that no one sees christians clamoring for the death penalty for working on sundays.... this was precisely dealt with in the new testament, when pharisees tried to condemn Jesus for working a miracle on a Sabbath day. He said to live by the spirit of the law, not the letter. However, as far as the Catholic Church goes, they recognize that the bible was written a long time ago, and inherently some things just aren't "doable" today (however, the Latter Day Saints do nothing but rest on sundays).

For anyone who knows ANYTHING about the Catholic Church, this article is nothing but old news... and to the OP, Im really sick of seeing both sides of this damn argument searching for scraps to deny the truth of the other.

Atheists: Just let the damn christians be. If you think you're so much smarter than they, why do you descend to such petty crap when it comes to discussing christianity.

Christians: Maybe I had an old version of the Bible, but mine said "Judge not, lest ye be judged first." I guess all of the fire-and-brimstoner's out there must have the new addition, with that passage removed.