View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Brief thought on big hands on draw-heavy boards

and yet another example of a non-traditional play which maximized my win.

i'm in the BB w/99.
playing 20-40 with ~15K.

five or six limpers, SB makes it $200 straight.
i call, limpers call.

flop A-9-3 two clubs.

SB bets pot, i smoothcall, button raises to ~3K(SB has ~8K button has me covered) SB goes all-in i go all-in and button makes a bad call w/bottom set.
SB has AQ no clubs.

now you can fault both the SB and the BB but the SB put me on a flush draw because i just called w/so many players left to act and the button was an uber-aggressive player so he wanted to shut me out and get heads up w/ the button.

now if he bets i raise, and now the button re-raises he's dumping that AQ in two seconds flat. he said he just couldn't put me on a set because i didn't raise to protect my hand.

point is i took a gamble that if the turn blanked off the SB was going to make a pot-committing bet because he would put me on the flush draw.

now, let me say that a lot of the time i raise the flop w/a set...but its a real good thing to be able to vary your lines so that your opponents can't easily put you on a hand.

i don't play at all online so i don't know if this is as necessary there, but i know that when you play high limit live its crucial because you play with the same people so often, and they are paying attention.