View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Why do some atheists care that there are theists?

[ QUOTE ]
1)
Charity exists outside of religion. We would still have formed communities and charitable organizations would still exist.
2)
a: I went to a Catholic school and was never molested there or knew of any such thing going on.
b: I am fairly sure little boys have been molested in public schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your answer. Very fair. Let me just respond to the point about the charitable organizations. Sure, they are many great non-religious private charities. But there are so many great religious based charities. Presumably, many of the people involved in these do this work because they think God wants or demands they do it. If they stopped believing in God, would they still feed the sick and take in the homeless etc..

Some still would do the work, but I am guessing a lot wouldn't. It is asking a lot for somebody to sacrifice part of their life to help others. I just think many atheists don't take into account all the great work done by believers. They point out all the bad, while ignoring the good. You have to take into account both, and I think there are some who don't.