View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: should the fish be respected?

[ QUOTE ]
How can you develop the skill to take advantage of someone's weaknesses and at the same time not develop a large disrespect for them? Or do you have to believe your opponents are fools, donkeys, and fish in order to play poker aggressively enough? If I'm worried about this should I just stick the play money tables?

Sincerly,
A Fish

[/ QUOTE ]

The only fish that I disrespect are those that play regularly, play horribly, but are convinced that they are god's gift to poker and will criticize others at the table for *their* play. However, unless this fish is scaring away other fish by being obnoxious, I avoid criticizing his play. I might call the fish an [censored] or a jerk, but I'll never hint that his play is anything but optimal. It's important that he never comes to the realization that he's a horrible player.

So the short answer is: you can secretly disrespect a bad player all you want, but you need to draw the line at saying anything that might make him improve.

As for the recreational players that have no idea what they're doing -- how can you feel contempt for them? They're just like you or me, except that they haven't spent an ungodly number of hours learning the game.