View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Help me drop out of school (resume, job search question)

Hi mantasm--

I am a chemical engineer and spent over 20 years in big corporations before I got tired of corporate BS and took a buy out deal. I have hired many scientists and engineers.

First, don't put anything deceptive in your resume. If discovered during the interview process, you will be eliminated from consideration. If discovered after you are hired, it can be grounds for immediate termination. When I was general manager of a manufacturing business, I interviewed every candidate and I always looked for "interesting" gaps in the candidate's resume and asked about them. I, personally, would have no problem with your experience, but I would have a big problem with you trying to deceive me about it.

Second, many prospective employers will not have a problem with either your brief attendance of law school or with playing poker for a living. These are the guys that you should look for.

The gulf coast is about to have a construction boom. The engineering firms supporting this will be hiring engineers like mad. Use your web skills to find engineering companies in Baton Rouge (hint: Shaw Group, RPM Engineering), Mobile, etc. A lot of young engineers are not interested in working for these types of companies, but they are great for gaining experience and resume building.