View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Nut flush draw w/ mid pair....

[ QUOTE ]
Could you explain these straight 'redraws'? I'm not quite understanding how it matters.

As far as I can tell, my best straight hand is now:
A_Q_T , with the queen and ten already on the board. With this call, I'm going to need a K AND J to make it.... which is about a 3% chance to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've pretty much got it right. A "redraw" is a straight or flush draw where you'd have to go runner-runner to get there. It is most certainly a long shot (3% sounds about right on this one), but it does add a little strength to your hand.

Ed Miller has a section in SSHE that talks about how to count how many "outs" a redraw is worth. Roughly a flush redraw is worth about 1.5-2, a straight redraw is worth anywhere from 0-1.5, depending on how connected the existing cards are and how strong the straight made is.

I'd guess that this redraw is only worth 3/4 of an out at best. You need two cards to get there, but you are drawing to the nut straight.

Mostly I mention it to be sure I consider all the possible hands that are out. It helps to keep me from making a mistake because I failed to see it.