View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 AM

Default How do you Read a Novice With Shaky Hands?

I recently was playing in a game where there were a two novice players sitting in. It wasn’t high stakes, $20 buy-in NL tourney, so there is no need to be nervous about getting busted out.

I had a significant chip lead, we started with two tables and were down to one. I was turning up big hands to date, so the two novices shouldn’t have been aware that I was playing the big stack different now and pushing for the blinds more often.

I picked up A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in mid position 7-handed and put in a 4xBB raise. Everyone folded and the BB moved all-in quickly. It would only cost me 1/5 my stack to make the call. But he carefully moved all his chips in and I made him give me a count. His hands were shaking significantly the whole time. Someone else asked him something, then he verbally announced that he was going to show his hand anyway.

I went on gut and figured he had a huge hand. Shaking hands and tapping feet have been a very consistent tell for me showing strength. I made the fold and felt good when I did. Then he flipped over KQo and I then felt sick. My guess is that maybe he really felt that KQ was a powerhouse and was happy to do what he did. Or maybe he was just excited to move all-in.

Is this read still applicable to novice players? Do you have any reads on novice players that prove consistent? Thanks.[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]