View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

Probably not replying to the right post thread-wise, sorry.

Anyway, I don't see why any poker tournament winnings should be shared. You risked your money, and more often than not you'll get nothing, even assuming you're better than average. That one huge cash is going to be partially offset by smaller losses. This is also true for lotteries, but due to differing utilities of different amount of money it's not such a big deal there.

Now, if somebody close needs the money, I'll break my bankroll for them. They will pay me back if / when they can. If they can't, no problems. But I'm not randomly giving money unless I trip over a sack of gold. (So I didn't "work" for it or risk anything myself .. it's truly found money.).

In the more extreme case where the amount is so ridiculous that it makes no difference to me (and this amount is different for everybody) then I might start offering. But definitely only for people who have been there for me in the past .. parents and siblings, some close friends.
But it's highly unlikely I'd do anything where I could win such an amount. I don't play the lotto and I'm not entering a 1M person tournament with a 10K + 100 buyin, winner-take-all. If someday I enter and win the WSOP I'll feel I earned my prize and want to keep it all (again, if somebody close needs some specifically that's different).

Rahul Chandra