View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Been to any good concerts lately?

[ QUOTE ]
Saw Beck last night at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Great music venue...great concert. His band is really talented, and he had a DJ from Japan that spun DVDs on a big screen along with the beat.

Also saw Coldplay recently, pretty good, but nothing compared to last night.

Interested to hear others recent concert experiences...

[/ QUOTE ]
Saw the White Stripes play at the Greek Theatre. Awesome show. They are really tight onstage. Great slide playing. Meg White is in her own little world onstage, fun to watch.

They have their equipment set up so Meg is at one edge of the stage facing sideways and Jack's mic set up right in front. It helps them to stay in sync because they go off course quite a bit and use visual cues to change the rhythm.

He made fun of the LA crowd by doing the encore after the first set which was about 5 songs long. Guess we're not as loud as other places. Lots of people there trying too hard to look cool. Go away 80's, I hate your music and huge ugly sunglasses. The older crowd was out in full force, which was a surprise.

Beck came on stage and played one of his songs, and then played bass on The Denial Twist.

----
Went to the Long Beach Blues Festival (at my school), it was mostly R&B. Another guy (Guitar Johnny, or something) thought the blues = long uninteresting guitar solos. Lots of noodling, no quality phrasing. Bobby Blue Bland played, he does this funny thing with his voice/throat, kinda cool. I forgot if I liked his music, too long ago.

Black Crowes closed the show. Pretty good overall, they could get rid of a guitarist or something else. A little muddy at times.

Got baked in the hot sun.