View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: AKo - Call a turn raise and fold to river bet

"Someone" asked me to take a look at this thread. Haven't looked at the rest of the responses or results yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Live at the Mecca, 9/18 nine-handed. Table is typical loose with minor bursts of aggression. Two limpers to me in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]:K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I check. Four to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should usually raise here with three opponents. Only check against the toughest, trickiest opponents, and even then often raise.

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked around. Still four players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note this flop is a rainbow and open in the middle with only one often
played card (the nine). I like a bet here even more than if you actually raised BTF (had you raised BTF, the bet looks like a "continuation bet" of sorts and won't be believed as often by your opponents who will tend to optimistically put you on exactly what you have i.e., AK). Note you are often ahead on this board with "top two no pair" and if raised you are virtually always against at least a pair and can act accordingly on later streets.

[ QUOTE ]
TURN: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB (loosey-goosey) checks, I bet, EP limper (tight by Commerce standards) calls, LP limper (loosest player in the free world) calls. SB now check-raises. I call as do the others. Four to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

A three bet should be considered. There are now possible draws behind you that you would like to either drive out or charge. If it goes to a cap you can usually fold and still sleep at night.

[ QUOTE ]
RIVER: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets. I fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

With your passive play on earlier streets and tight image (a wild guess here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) you can represent a big hand. Since you got a free play in the blinds your opponents have to fear that you could have a four and something such as A4 makes sense from their perspective. Raise and safely fold to reraise.

All this said, I'm too old to think fast enough anymore to actually play it this way at the table but I like the line. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick