View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: What if you knew everyone\'s hole cards? (continued)

[ QUOTE ]
Such situations often won't arise frequently. Even when they do, you won't always win them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They arise more frequently then you are ever aware.

You have 97 in the BB...
SB is trying to steal with 88.
The flop is AQ9.

Without knowing your opponents cards you are lost here and have no idea that you are a huge favorite.

You have J2o....your opponent has 98s.
Flop is AT5.

you have J2o against AK and QJ.
Flop is T42.

We only THINK of us being a big favorite in situations where we have top-set on a ragged flop because we are so used to having to play in the dark and not know what our opponents' cards are.
We never know about ALL those times that we were miles and miles ahead even when we practically completely missed the flop.

In your AT example.
You play and see a flop depending on how much 66 has raised for.
KQ comes along cheaply as well perhaps.
If you flop a pair then you're golden.
If not then you can go ahead and fold.

More important than the hands where we just get to take the pots are the hands where we can size our bets appropriately to induce calls.

I have QJo.
Opponent has JT.
Board is J8732 or something.
You should be able to bet enough to keep him from being too scared. And if comes over-the-top of you then you have nothing to fear. Whereas normally with top-pair and not-great kicker you are frequently not going to be willing to put your whole tourney on the line.

From one Bob to another: I know I'm not the only one here who thinks you are truly underestimating the advantage that you have.