View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Expert Aruba play by Shaniac?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the OP embellished the story a little bit.

First of all, I never did, nor would I ever, say "New York Rules" in any context; certainly not in a situation in which I was intentionally snaking a cab from a man who is probably the best poker player to ever roam the earth; a man whose very presence at the same salsa-themed nightclub amounts to an enormous privelege.

Here's how I remember the events: Phil, in his all black UB-Oakley uniform, left the club and was waiting on the sidewalk with his entourage. There was no "cab line" such as you might find at an airport. I didn't really process his presence on the curb, and probably assumed he was waiting for a hellicopter, or perhaps a Secret Service limo, to transport him safely to his suite at the Radisson.

In any case, when I saw a cab pull about about 20 feet down the street to the left, I didn't realize that Phil and Co. were probably just as interested in procuring its services, and I, somewhat obvlivously, wandered over to the taxi, opened the door, slid over to the passenger's side window, and then called out "this way, gentleman" to my friends.

If Phil, or anyone, had declared (as I, in their shoes, would have) "hey, that's our cab" I would have become aware of my faux-pas and relinquished the vehicle.

It wasn't until my own posse was crammed into the cab that the essence of this tale was revealed to me, and I realized my unintentional snub.

I would like to point out that I am generally considered a polite and considerate individual, not known for doing things like stealing cabs or executing other sniveling angles. I didn't lose TOO much sleep over this one, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just ruined a good story. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]