View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

[ QUOTE ]
Goodie, you're making a common mistake. You think that if you think something is the right thing to do, then everybody should think it is the right thing to do. And then you're casting dispersions on us for not feeling as you feel.

If I had given my parents a check for 1M, they would have torn it up and told me not to do that again. They would be more insulted than happy with my offer. They would appreciate the offer, but would want to know why I'm giving money to them when they're perfectly well off on their own. Yet you assume something different to be the case, because this is not in alignment with YOUR life, and the way YOU see things.

As I said in my prior post, if my parents ever need anything, I will do anything I can to help them. That was true before I won a lot of money, and it's still true now. But for me to just give them a bunch of money, well, I don't think that would make them happy. Some people think you should earn what you have, and are not comfortable with things they haven't earned. Maybe you and your family don't feel that way. Maybe me and my family do feel that way. Does that make me selfish, or does that make you lazy? No, it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with Greg here. Giving someone money does not necessarily make them happy. I won a decent amount of money last year in poker tournaments and the thought never even crossed my mind to give my parents money. They have other priorities in life that make them happy and they are not in need of money. If their situation would somehow change, then I would be first in line (along with the rest of my family) to jump in and help them.

If you have ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and his dad keep trying to give each other money - that is what would happen if I tried to slip my parents some extra cash. It would turn into a comedy routine because they don't want my money - I am their son and they still want to give me money even though I am fine financially.

The other thing I thought of is age. This issue may be seen differently depending on your age and what stage of life you are in. My relationship with my parents is far different now that I have two kids of my own then when I was living with them or when I had only been out on my own for a few years.

Temp