View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Is this all your money every time?

Generally I am wary of getting a lot of money into the pot early with a straight, especially when I am only playing for half the pot. About the only thing you know about a hand like yours on the flop is that if you get called, at BEST you are probably getting half of the pot. Against a field of players a pot bet has the likely effect of isolating you against the nut low-- who if he has any two suited cards or hearts, diamonds or clubs, which is not unlikely, he is now free-rolling you. There is also a decent chance of a better low than you having 2 pair and free-rolling you that way. So generally I will play a hand like this passively, and get away cheaply if there is any trouble. Seldom does this hand turn into a big pot in your favor unless 2 people have A5 and your straight holds up.

Now in the present situation you describe, I am not sure I totally understand your position in this hand, it appears you are on the button, and there are two players who have shown weakness. I don't see anything with trying to take the whole thing down. I think your odds against villian are favorable, with a straight and the 3rd low, so even if one of them calls I think you are still probably ok.