Thread: ($20) Early AKs
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: ($20) Early AKs

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is a trainwreck. We're trying to help you, but you're not reading the responses. This first quote indicates you have A LOT of reading to do.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guess what-- you're PROBABLY BUSTING OUT OF THIS TOURNAMENT. You bust out of MOST of them. Probably somewhere in the range of 98-99% of them, which if you're on the lower end of that scale is probably fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kiddin' me?

Are you seriously equating tournament departure out of the money, and tournament departure in the money, as the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

If I win 1 tourney buy in, I might as well have not placed. It's very literally basically the same thing for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. It is precisely these minor victories that keep one's tournament bankroll flush with cash until one is lucky enough to knock one off.

I would agree with a viewpoint that one can never be a long term winning MTT player without winning tournaments. But to simply ignore the non-win cashes as statistically insignificant is just plain crazy. That is what you are doing with your statement, making non-win cashes statistically insignificant.

It is not unlike playing a profitable video poker machine. One obviously can't win in the long term with cashing the occasional jackpot with a royal. But all the little non-royal wins along the way are what keeps the bankroll in the black.

[ QUOTE ]
What the poster was saying, was that passing up these kinds of situations may make you place often, but not place high. ALL the significant money is at the top. The payout is basically exponential.

[/ QUOTE ]

More BS. Yes all the big money is at the top. You're just stating the obvious. But you have no shot at the big money unless you can first make it into the small money.

Also, you're making the same flaw in logic that Nath is, which is that late tournament play is the same as early tournament play. It simply is not. There are different plays and different levels of aggression that come into play at different times in the tournament.

[ QUOTE ]
EVERY chip you win has value. What that means is that you basically CANNOT (especially in the 40k, with a 2200 person field) win/make the FT of a tourney without coming back from being behind at least once and/or winning when you were 30% to win but were going to tripple up (or something like that).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's start with your first statement "Every chip has value." You only touched the tip of the iceberg. It is a commonly accepted concept that chip value is inversely proportional to stack size.

In the OP's original scenario, the OP was understacked for the situation. Hence, relative to MP the OP's chips had more value, and therefore require a little different strategy. Isn't this patently obvious?

With respect to the subsequent statements, you're just doing more stating of the obvious. MTT's very rarely have a wire to wire winner. So yes, obviously, one is going to do a lot of come from behind playing most of the time in a tournament. What is the point you were trying to make?

But on the whole, you seem to have this same mentality of push, push, push every time you think that you just might possibly have the best of it. I too have no problem with pushing my whole stack in, at almost any point in time at the tournament. Sometimes it is to bluff. Sometimes it is to semi-bluff. Sometimes it is for a pure value bet.

But back to the OP's original scenario, you believe that it is right to push, a point on which I and others disagree. What is your rationale for pushing? To bluff? To semi-bluff? Or to value bet?

My opinion is that any logic that says you push here as a value bet is severely flawed. Further, I don't think the bluff or semi-bluff push is valid because it seems highly unlikely that MP would be pushed off the pot.

For one to push in the OP scenario as a value bet, the pusher would have to be some huge kind of favorite to make it sensible. I'm sorry, but with a UTG all in (stated as not likely to be a tilt), and an MP cold call, there is no way the AKs is a huge leader here. Hence the pre-flop all-in is pure folly, a pure gamble, a shot in the dark, AN UNTHINKING UNCALCULATED PLAY!