View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

Just to be perfectly clear. I am not in the same category or even close to the extremists you describe.

Your point about your parents ripping up the check and being insulted at the thought of you handing them money is well taken. I certainly see your point and to be honest, my parents would definetly feel the same way and if I didn't know that the money I gave them would allow them to live happier for the rest of thier lives, I certainly would not argue with them. I would take back the money I offered. I do, however, disagree with your thoughts about good intentions. I don't think they apply to the example I outlined. If I were to come into hundreds of millions of dollars, spliting a good portion of that up with friends and family is the only way I see to live the rest of my life. I honestly can't see how someone could consider not doing this. If there were some of my friends or family that were proud and did not want to accept the donation, I would honor thier wishes, but to not offer, I couldn't live with myself.

Back to your original point which was that people assumed that you had given some of your new found fortune to your parents. I don't particularly have a problem with this assumtion since I do believe that most people that have a good releationship with they're parents would do so. This is originally what I was speaking to and I stand by that assertion.

Peace

Goodie