View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been Thinking

[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone WANTS to be free and I think it's wrong to shove freedom down their throats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point, but do those who not want to be free have the right to also force non-freedom on those that want to be free?

[ QUOTE ]
It's the same with life in general. Not everyone is a leader or enjoys freedom. To many people WANT someone else to take conrol of their lives. It gives them a sense of security.

I think there is a very real danger that America seems to want to force freedom down other country's throats. I think everyone has the RIGHT to be free, but not everyone HAS to be free. Just my humble opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't entirely disagree with you here. Forcing democracy can have repercussions.

The problem, as I see it, is that those who believe in radical political Islam (the Islamists) want not only to not be free themselves, but to force everyone else within their sphere of influence to not be free as well. Moreover they keep trying to expand that sphere of influence.

It would be one thing if Muslim countries offered a choice, for example: if you want to live by Sharia, you live in the southern part of the country. If you want to live as secular Muslims, you live in the Northern part. Something like that might be less repugnant to those who value human liberty, though even that would entail the huge problem of oppression of women born into families living in the South. But even this sort of arrangement would be entirely unacceptable to the Islamists. They think everyone must be forced to submit to living under the specific instructions and eternal word of Allah as set forth in the Koran.