View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: who cares about M

First, I agree with what I think the underlying point of your post was.

Players should try to understand why HOH suggests the different strategies with regard to 'M'. There are no strict rules, etc etc.

But your post came across as very 'high and mighty'. People in the know, often have a hard time grasping how others have to look at the world. For the vast majority of players. They are much better suited finding a correct set of rules, and following them perfectly.

I will draw a parallel to my world (finance). For 90% of investors that I know, they would be best suited following a strict guideline (Buy X% Large cap stocks, Buy Y% Small cap, etc). If they really understood why those recomendations are being made, they would be better suited following a more active approach.

People can't be "great" vs. "good" poker players for the same reasons, they cant be "great" vs "good" investors. It is either:
-They are not intelligent enough.
-They are not knowledgable enough.

For poker players that have put enough thought and study into the game that they have read HOH (1&2) and regularly post on 2+2, if they are following strict guidelines based on M, there is a very real chance, that that is the best they can do. I dont mean this as an insult to anyone's overall intelligence, more towards poker IQ. The two are generally related, but far from perfectly.

MLG talked about how players should look more towards learning how to think, than for answers. This also assumes that players are capable of thinking on a higher level. For a lot of players. What David Sklansky tells us to do, is as good as we can get.

For players with the ability to do better than what is recomended in HOH and TPFAP, it isnt very likely that they will be quoting strict M guidelines anyway. For a large % of the poker world, being "good" is the ultimate goal.

(climbing down from soap box)