View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

Goodie, you're making a common mistake. You think that if you think something is the right thing to do, then everybody should think it is the right thing to do. And then you're casting dispersions on us for not feeling as you feel.

If I had given my parents a check for 1M, they would have torn it up and told me not to do that again. They would be more insulted than happy with my offer. They would appreciate the offer, but would want to know why I'm giving money to them when they're perfectly well off on their own. Yet you assume something different to be the case, because this is not in alignment with YOUR life, and the way YOU see things.

As I said in my prior post, if my parents ever need anything, I will do anything I can to help them. That was true before I won a lot of money, and it's still true now. But for me to just give them a bunch of money, well, I don't think that would make them happy. Some people think you should earn what you have, and are not comfortable with things they haven't earned. Maybe you and your family don't feel that way. Maybe me and my family do feel that way. Does that make me selfish, or does that make you lazy? No, it doesn't.

Some historical figure said something about good intentions. Something like there's nothing worse than a man of conviction with good intentions, and how such a man is much more trouble than a a man who is merely evil. Good intentions cause more trouble, in the end, they say. Probably because it's easy to fight and gain support to oppose somebody who is evil, but how to you oppose somebody with good intentions who is mistaken? Much harder to do. Your intentions may be good, but I think your implementation of those intentions would cause more harm than good to your family and close friends.

Somebody will surely chime in and give us an accurate quote for my poor memory. Thanks in advance for doing so.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)