View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Being smart with computer security.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, some people like you have over faith of those antispyware and firewalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I use multiple layers of security, and still am paranoid.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you know for example that some versions of ZoneAlarm is actually WORSE than having no firewall at all? This is beacuse some people found a way into your computer by using an exploit in the firewall itself, witch would not be there if it was not installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did know about that, and updated as soon as it was possible. I also have my computer sitting behind a router with all but essential ports blocked, so someone probing for computers running ZA would have had to get that past just to find me. That's what multiple layers is all about. Everything has flaws, and you can't rely on any one defense.

[ QUOTE ]
It is always the most paranoid who uses all those crappy programs and then say "now my computer is safe", guess what, it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never say, "now my computer is safe". My attitude is, it's as safe as I can make it, given what I know right now, and I try to find ways to make it safer.

I think your approach is more dangerous; you're relying on one layer of security, which you say you use only for programs you've downloaded, plus avoiding what you know to be risky behavior. But what if you visit a site you have no reason to think is unsafe, but has a hidden exploit embedded in its code? It's the problems you don't know about that may bite you someday. The only way to be completely safe is to stay off the Internet altogether, and nobody here is about to do that. Next best is to cover all the bases you can, and keep looking for more, which is what I do.

-Mike