Thread: ($20) Early AKs
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: ($20) Early AKs

[ QUOTE ]
This is deep stack poker stillthough, putting your tornament life at risk pushing into 2 hands that have shown huge strength pre flop just isn't worth it to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not huge strength. A very short stack moved in and someone called. No, in a $20 tournament I am not giving them credit for a better hand than AKs. This pot is mine.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are a dog to MP2's range of hands that cold call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What range do you put them on? I'd say 77+ and AJo+ is being generous. (I suspect it goes down to 55, and maybe AT and KQ as well.)

To quote everyone's boy Harrington, "Most bets mean what they appear to mean." A call indicates less strength than a reraise. At a $20 at the first level, no, I'm not giving him credit for being clever enough to trap with AA or KK.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because the first raiser had a bad beat last hand does not mean he is pushing with air.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it increases the chances he is, giving us a better edge and a more favorable gamble.

[ QUOTE ]
the cold call suggests a big hand too.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are a dog to MP2's range of hands that cold call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "cold call" means to call two raises. MP2 is not cold calling. It is not a phrase to use when you want to make a call sound strong.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not assume my opponents are donkeys pre flop in tournaments, I make money in MTTs outplaying them post flop more than pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you started outplaying them preflop, you'd make more. And online, "donkey until proven otherwise" is not a bad starting strategy at a buyin this low.

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see the point in pushing this early with AKs knowing you are getting called by a hand that has shown huge pre flop strength and will not be folding, and where you are either racing or dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You. Don't. Know. This.
MP2 might fold. Maybe he is weak-tight and called with QQ, and thinks the raise must mean AA or KK-- or maybe AKs and he doesn't want to put his tournament life on a coinflip this early.
You also discount the possibility of a lower ace.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you always assume that no reads on an opponent means he is an idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

At a $20 buyin I always give it substantial consideration.

Anyway, enough talk about putting tournament lives on coinflips and such. It's a catchphrase used to deny the need to look for favorable spots to get your money in, even when you may not be 50% or better to win the hand.