View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Newbie question about blocking bets

I may be way off but I think the way you play the river does not detract from the fact that he played incorrectly on both the flop and turn. 'When' he called your flop bet he was making an error because he was not getting pot odds to draw, he compounded this error on the turn. At this point he has bet 8 into a 16 pot. For simplicity say the turn pot was 10, and you bet the pot and he called making a 30 pot. He needs 22 (the remaining 2.1 from 4.1:1) from you now on the river. All this is approximate and doesn't account for the fact he may hit and lose or he may make a weaker hand and call you on the river anyway.

I also think it's hard to consider this situation independantly from the 'reality'. In reality villain has a range of hands and not 'always a draw'. Even if the only other hands he played this way were AK and KJ you have a much more complex problem. There's even variety in what you can expect from the flush draws, the Ace would push the river for example, a little flush might just call and the 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] may have raised you already.

Having sat here and typed this reponse I can honestly conclude I have no idea how to answer your question. My 'feeling' is that any hand you beat will probably check behind or fold if you bet on this river so a blocking bet gains you nothing.