View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Final table strategy please help!

It's hard to know what you might be doing. Making the final table in every tournament you play in spectacularly good.

I generally play very aggressive at the final table because most people play cautiously. If the money in shallow, I push a lot on the semibluff. Open push, reraise allin, push on a flop where I have a draw or something. Just raise your good hands preflop. I lot of people are afraid.

You generally can play more aggressively as a ahort stack or a large stack. As a short atack, there are lots of opportunities to push preflop. As a large stack, you can threaten to bust people out.

Usually stealing blinds and antes is important at a final table. Steal from tight players with medium stacks.

I am assuming a tight table. If the table is loose, tighten up and play solidly.

If you have enough chips to make it to the top 3, I would try to avoid going allin with another big stack. The top 3 is where the money is, so you don't want to jeapordize that. Otherwise, I don't mind a coin flip to double up or bust out.

Towards the end, if the blinds are huge, like on Paradise you can just push preflop when you want to play 2-4 handed.

On Stars, the blinds are typically small at this stage, so play regular poker, but hand values go up. With small blinds, there will be some players who have not adjusted to short handed and play too tight. There will also be LAGs, particularly in a rebuy, who can be tricky to play in this situation. Sometimes you can't give a LAG credit as he is representing everything. You may have to go with your read and put your chips in without a big hand.

If you haven't played SNGs, they are good for final table play. Winner take all satellites involve more aggreessive play and are better practice than standard SNGs. Also, heads up SNGs will help you with short handed play.