View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Struggling with Moral Issues in Poker from a Christian Standpoint

[ QUOTE ]
hi jcaesar.

you have done a brave thing by baring your thoughts on the issue, and i too have gone through similar struggles on the issue... here's my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I don't think I'm doing anything particularly brave, I just want to be able to make an informed decision on whether or not to play poker anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I was hoping I'd get some new avenues of thought that I hadn't considered before, and I have, thanks to everyone who posted. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My main objection with your post is sort of the same as the one I posted earlier to Peter666's response to my question.

Reply to Peter666

Basically, just because others sin doesn't make it okay for us to cast stones at them. This is why I think I disagree with:
[ QUOTE ]
there is no shame in profiting from the actions of others who would not heed the Word of God.

[/ QUOTE ]
As Christians, what we believe is that no one heeds the Word of God. We're all in the same sinner boat.

[ QUOTE ]
I think what you have to guard against, is not being a stumbling block to others.

"Therefore, let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way."
Romans 14:13

If you actively try to entice others to the gambling tables when you know that they are susceptible to gambling or when u know that their talents do not lie in poker playing, then that is clearly wrong. instead, you should even be discouraging people whom you know are weak from playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, and I have to admit that I am a purveyor of the concept as well. For example, I make friendly comments to bad players who suck out in hope that they won't pull a hit and run. One of the organizations I'll try to get involved with with donations if I do end up deciding to get back in the game is Gamblers Anonymous.

Thanks, I'm interested in hearing your reply.