View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Very simple preflop question.

Meh - not that simple. First, I really do vary my play quite a bit based upon what I think of the player. 50 hands is not enough for me to put stock in the fact that the guy's PFR is 0. If I've seen him show down QQ or AK or seomthing when he didn't raise pre-flop, then I'll give the 50 hand stat read more weight. Second, I'll also consider what he's been limping with 38% of the time, and what he's like post-flop -- I'd be more inclined to play here if his post-flop play, even with strong hands, is weak and he's likely to give free cards / make bad plays even with position (the 0.5 AF implies this, but again there's the 50 hand read). Third, I'd want to know what sort of LAG BB is. There are in my experience lots of different types of LAGs, some of which are much tougher to play against than others.

If I am comfortable that his stats over 50 hands approximates his style reasonably closely, I have little trouble throwing this away. If I think he's probably been pretty card dead, and or is capable of a steal range that belies his stats, I'd be three-betting pretty easily. If BB is a tough LAG, I'm more inclined to 3-bet; if BB is a bit of a donkish LAG, I might find this a spot to actually cool-call in the SB here.

I don't think this is a particularly simple PF question, and I think, for me at least, it is highly contextual. If the two players are totally unknown (just datamined stats), I'd default to 3-betting.