Thread: Execution
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Execution

I try to have a plan for future streets but I don't plan to follow it. The point is that I'm not a machine. A computer can make an absolutely final decision about its contingency plan for every future street and it will be top quality--the best decision the computer can make.

Humans are not good at that. When making (e.g.) a plan on the turn we tend to lump potential river cards into broad categories and think general thoughts about them instead of focusing on the nuances of the exact river card. We also often fail to notice subtle details about the river situation because our brain is primarily focused on the turn problem. Finally we may fall into the "good enough" trap. We decide to call the turn because we quickly realize that the pot is big enough to call down. Then we robotically make the "good enough" river call without ever considering that bluff raising might be better.

Of course I'm talking about rethinking my contingency plans when the situation actually arises. It sounds like you are suffering from lapses in discipline. I find that regular review of hands I have played improves discipline by forcing me to confront my lapses.

I developed a special trick to combat my problem with reflexive autocalls of river raises. Whenever I make a marginal river bet I take my hand completely off the mouse. That ensures that I actually take a moment to consider my action when I get raised.