View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: OT: Overcoming the Gambler\'s Mindset

You said this:

[ QUOTE ]
I knew I could beat the odds in the short run and would take my winnings and run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you made a typo and meant to say "I thought I could beat the odds in the short run, and was lucky enough to come out ahead and not play anymore," you don't understand probability. Given the slant of the rest of what you said, you don't understand probability.

This is very bad for poker and I suggest that you think about it.

As for heaters and cold streaks, they certainly happen, but it's important to understand that they don't perpetuate themselves. This question:

[ QUOTE ]
would you continue to play because you are making good decisions and your hands appear to be holding up?

[/ QUOTE ]

gives me the impression that you don't understand this. Winning your last 20 coinflips doesn't change the odds of your 21st coinflip.

It's possible that you have heard these comments and know them to be true, but simply do not understand their application yet. However, you do not understand probabilty.

I'm trying to help you. I promise I'm right. Please learn not to think about gambling mathematically and not in terms of luck and streak and short-run fluctuations.