View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Can\'t understand why I don\'t do well online (long)

[ QUOTE ]

I have to say the feedback that I have been receiving has been helpful in that it is a major reality check...cuz you guys are probably right...

[/ QUOTE ]

I neglected to mention earlier; This attitude shows that you have DEFINITE potential as a poker-player.

Crappy poker-player = Completely denying the idea that THEY are the reason they are losing.
Good poker-player = Accepting criticism of one's ideas and game as you are doing.

I'm not kidding. You are to be commended.

These types of posts come up A LOT (mostly in the internet and general forums).
I would say that when it's this obvious that the problem is likely with the player and they receive input almost exactly like the posts that you got in this thread that a solid majority of the time the original poster gets super-defensive and starts saying things like "What are you talking about? How do YOU know I'm not a winning player? I'm telling you that I freaking know how to play. You guys are so conceited. etc etc etc."

you came into this thread with an open-mind...got the same type of feedback of "don't take this wrong way....please consider this possibility....you probably aren't that good..." etc etc and you actually LISTENED.

If you surfed around on these forums as much as steamboatin and I and others do you would fully understand how truly rare your attitude is and how truly common the ultra-defensive "my game is fine and you guys suck" resposes are.

Okay - onto some other stuff -

The micro games should be beatable at any site really.
That said, UB's are noted for being a bit tougher.
Even pokerstars limit games are probably better.
And most people around here like the partypoker games for their fishyness.

Somebody asked earlier if you were using pokertracker.
This is an important question actually.
You would be able to see what your VPIP and PFR and other stats are and see how they compare to long-term winning players in the micro and small-stakes forums.

Lots of players who THINK they are playing just fine but can't understand why they are losing come back and say..."well..you wanted my stats so here goes. My VPIP is 24 and my PFR is 4" and it becomes pretty obvious to everyone else that they really aren't very good at all and that there is a definite reason why they are not winning long-term.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been mostly playing low limit live games and have probably picked up bad playing habits which is causing me to lose money online.

[/ QUOTE ]

'picking up' bad habits is one possibility.
But you should also consider the possibility that your game has never been that ideal to begin with.
If you haven't been clobbering the micro-limit games then this a very strong possibility.

Doing as well as you have done in the low-limit live games is probably kind of meaningless.
If you aren't a full-time player then it is unlikely that you have played enough hands to have a decent sample-size to really analyze your win-rate anyway (in other words...if you've played 200 hours or less of live poker then it's VERY possible that you play barely-better than a break-even game but have been running a bit better than average...these types of 'swings' are common).

anyway - surf around in the micro and small-stakes strategy forums and pick up some GOOD habits and continue to focus on improving your game.
good luck.