View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Always bring a gun to a knife fight.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No matter where you draw the line, I don't think what you just wrote is very logical. First of all, every weapon imaginable is potentially in the hands of some criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Potentially, sure. That's why I wrote "weapons of choice". When criminals commonly wear body armor, I'll want armor piercing rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

There already are criminals wearing body armor.

[ QUOTE ]
But since I don't have any indication that they are, I don't. It makes sense to be prepared to confront your probable opponent, not any opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, now you're getting somewhere. But how do you define "probable". Let's say you define "probable" as a greater than 50% chance of happening anytime during the rest of your life (a very loose definition).

It is not probable that you will EVER confront an "opponent" who is aiming any gun at you, unless you put yourself in dangerous situations regularly. And if that small chance does come to be, it is even less likely that you will have your weapon available. And even then, there is a good possibility your weapon will end up doing you no good.

Are you sure you still want to base where the line is drawn on what weapons you should be able to purchase on your "probable" criminal opponent? Because in that case, no one should be allowed to own any guns at all.

-ptmusic