View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: The point

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This push begs the question.... is 88 any different from 22 here? With the exception of maybe 88 itself, you get the same calls and are in the same spot. I mean 22 "feels" like a fold to me, but it should feel the same as 88 here. So does that make 22 a push? If not, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 5% of the time, the board will turn out to be two pair. That is probably good for 88. Say the board is JJ44x, or TT55x, etc. In those cases your PP will supersede the bottom pair and make your hand good -- assuming that neither of you connect with the board.

But just about all two-pair boards are disastrous for 22. Now both players have the same two pair and you've got a pitiful 2 kicker. You don't get to chop the pot. No, no, no! By the time you've digested this, a smug little bot is telling you: "You finished 22nd. Thanks for playing!"

Obviously this is not a super-common outcome. But it's not freakishly rare either. I'd factor it into your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously 22 has a lower expectation than 88. But if it's only like 3%, then that's not really enough to make pushing 22 wrong and 88 correct.

I'm just wondering if all of the posters that advocate pushing 88 would have said to fold 22. I really think that if my OP had 22 instead of 88 some "push" people would say fold. You see what I'm getting at.

So... everyone agree to push ducks here as well?

What about 54s? According to pokerstove, with a 88+ AJ+ calling range, 88 is 39%, 22 is 36%, and 54s is 33%. I mean they all fare roughly the same when called.

Everett