View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: The point

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah yeah yeah I just dont see how I can limp then fold. That was my buggaboo.

It's not like they are only pushing with 99+.... You gotta call any all in I'd think with the blinds as padding to the pot. Thats my problem...

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's assume you are always going to call a raise. Does it therefore follow that you are ALWAYS best to just open-push?

It seems to me that there are certain hands, most notably low pairs, that will not call an all-in, but will give you action if you limp or raise a smaller amount. With a relatively short stack, you probably should welcome action in a favorable situation, rather than simply trying to maximize your chance of winning the blinds.

Look at it this way. There are times when check-calling is more profitable on the river than simply betting out. Isn't limping UTG, with the intention of calling a raise, a similar situation? Sometimes it could be right for the same reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point BUT I think that limp-calling gets you far more races with AT/KJs type hands here than it gets you dominated situations. In those cases the 3k in blinds and 700 in antes are far to valuable to encourage action. And thats what this particular spot comes down to: 3700 in the pot, 20k stack, and 6 other folks.

However...

This push begs the question.... is 88 any different from 22 here? With the exception of maybe 88 itself, you get the same calls and are in the same spot. I mean 22 "feels" like a fold to me, but it should feel the same as 88 here. So does that make 22 a push? If not, why?

Everett