Thread: Trap Hand
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Trap Hand

Preflop, I really hate the minraise with small suited connectors and no limpers. What were your intentions with the minraise?

With small suited connectors, you want to play it cheaply, with callers, and with position. Since everybody folded to you, this is a very unpromising hand. I would just fold it.

My second choice would be to limp in and see what the flop brings.

My third choice would be to raise 3XBB and see if I can steal the blinds. Two favorable outcomes would be that you steal the blinds, or that only the BB calls and you steal it on the flop. Given your description of a passive table, this may be a good option for an aggressive player.

My last choice would be to minraise. The minraise reduces your number of callers, makes the pot bigger (which means that the odds may dictate that you play a hand that you would rather not), and increases the likelihood that you will be playing a big pot out of position.

On the flop and turn, you correctly slowplayed this. But I hate the checkraise on the river. I would lead out, with the hope that someone has the Ace of clubs and you can get all of his chips. If you checkraise, the Ace of clubs may possibly fold to your raise, figuring that such a show of strength meant that you had the straight flush. That would be a disastrous outcome, to not get all of the chips from the nut flush.