Thread: Call Downs
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Call Downs

Hand 1: looks perfect to me. Would you have folded if another heart hit?

Hand 2: I think the turn call is close but probably fine, particularly if you think he would never play a 2 this way. Only you can know if the river call is good because it is a pure judgment call on how often he went crazy with a draw or overcards on the flop.

Hand 3: Unless he's a maniac, I would definitely fold to the turn checkraise. You have communicated to him in no uncertain terms that your hand is strong and he seems wholly unconcerned.

[ QUOTE ]

My call down standards get progressively worse if I have been folding a lot to aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean that you intentionally loosen up your call down standards when you have been folding a lot to aggression because you know that your opponents will respond by being more aggressive with more marginal holdings, then I think it is fine.

If you mean that without realizing it you loosen up your calling down standards too much because you start to get paranoid or emotional, then I think a better approach would be to leave your standards unchanged until you catch your opponent increasing his aggression with marginal holdings and then respond accordingly by loosening up your calling down standards.

[ QUOTE ]
What happens is I play a hand like the last hand and realize what has happened and I quit. But should I be quitting far before the last hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Table image aside, I think quitting is only the solution if you that the realization that are making some poor decisions is indicative that you will continue to make poor decisions. For some this is a virtual certainty. For others, the realization that they made one or more mistakes that they should never have made may serve to get their attention to the extent that they will actually play better from that point forward than they would have if they hadn't realized the mistake to begin with.

Cartman