View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: More fuel for the eminent domain fire

[ QUOTE ]
You may not realize it, but it is what you said. And you just said it again. Sad that you don't realize it because of your focus on the "net benefit" (being provided at the point of a gun).

[/ QUOTE ]

Focus on net benefit isn't necessarily Marxist; I think Locke or Mill would agree we should be focusing on net benefit as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at your words in bold ... who is the "we"? Obviously not the lawful owners of the land. Who decides what is of benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the crudest of terms, the majority. Surely it's much more complicated than that, but the 'we' is your elected representatives, who enact the will of the voters.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously not the lawful owners of the land. So, you believe that seizure of lawfully-owned property is okay if "we" (somebody else) decides its of "benefit" (by our own subjective standards).

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that, yeah. Again, 'we' in the sense that your elected leaders carry out the will of the citizenry.

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to liberalism, my friend, you just earned your honorary degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this has much to do with liberalism; I suspect most 'conservatives', when pressed, don't see property rights as so particularly sacrosanct that all eminent domain is illegitimate.