View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 02:59 AM

Default \"Cronyism at its worst\"

More piling on from conservatives, this time from the Yale Federalist Society.

"A terrible, terrible pick. Cronyism at its worst. It's one thing to staff the executive branch with loyal incompetents - they'll disappear when the Bush Administration does. But to try to cram one onto the Supreme Court - to put the country under this woman's thumb for 10, 15, 20 years - that's inexcusable. Bush had an incredibly deep bench to pick from this time; even if he wanted to limit himself to just female candidates, there are at least a dozen who are all genuinely qualified. Instead he picks Miers, who's astonishingly undistinguished and who's spent the last decade as a Bush apparatchnik.

This isn't about ideology. I frankly don't give a rat's ass who she gave money to when. She could be a Clarence Thomas clone - she could be the second coming of George-f***ing-Sutherland for all I care - and it would still be wrong for the President to treat the Supreme Court as just another patronage position into which he can put "his" people.

I know that FedSoc doesn't endorse candidates, but I do. If the Senate has any spine they'll reject Miers 100-0 and send Bush back to the drawing board."