View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: honestly, how good is AVG free antivirus?

Sorry it doesn't validate it for you but I am sure many of those who read this information and who don't really have any knowledge of computers or virus's are glad to know that the facts I present here (not opinions) don't come from just one guy sitting in front of his one computer who may never run into a serious virus problem and therefore thinks his program is just great. I do at least 4 service calls a day which translates to over 1000 computers serviced per year, if the facts I present based on that much experience doesn't hold more weight than a single user at home computer guy basing his opinion on his very limited experience, then nothing would be a validation for you. With probably close to 100,000 known virus's out there and more coming out each day, no program is going to be perfect and be able to stay ahead of new viruses every day of the year. One of the messages on this thread say NOD32 is the best there is. I tried it on three different computers that I knew had viruses from the way they were behaving and NOD32 found nothing on any of the three. Installed Norton and it found the virus's and fixed them or gave me the name of the virus so I could get instruction off their web site to manually fix them. This is fact, not opinion. You may get a virus in your computer that Norton wouldn't find but NOD32 would. It is going to happen. None are perfect. So all I can say is that for one particular virus or one family of viruses one program may be better than another for virus protection, but again in my experience in the over all scheme of the big computer world out there, I have found only Norton reliable enough to find and fight off the broad range of virus's in the thousands of computers I have fixed through the years. My job would be a lot harder and nearly impossible on some repairs without it as my main virus tool.