View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Limping QQ under the gun

[ QUOTE ]
How do you like any Ace, any King, or basically ATC having a good chance of outdrawing you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind, precisely because I have much less interest in this smaller pot, since I'm out of position.

Again, it's not really about winning the hand or the pot; it's about winning money, right?

Since I play queens differently *postflop* by limping them preflop, it stands that I believe I make more money in this way than I do by raising preflop and playing them "standard" postflop.

In other words, I don't mind if any two cards outdraw me. I would mind much more so if I had raised preflop.

Just to reemphasize, this is precisely for deep stacks that I'm talking about. If I have 50 bb or 60 bb in front of me, I am clearly raising preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
So do you play very passively with the hand postflop? I can only see that happening, as you say you don't like being OOP in a larg(er) pot. To me, defining my hand means more to me than pot control/position. Do you raise with AK in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to play passively on most hands postflop when I'm out of position. This might be a pot limit omaha symptom, but I tend to respect position to a huge extent when it comes to big-bet poker. I don't mind letting my opponent retain the lead; this minimizes and possibly even negates his positional advantage in some cases.

To answer your question, yes I limp AK here too. I limp AA and KK here too, but for a different reason--just to be able to reraise. If no one raises behind me and it's a limped flop, it's not a disaster; I just play the hand differently. That doesn't mean I check/fold when I don't hit a set, but obviously I keep in my mind that the dynamics of the hand are much different.

My point is just that I am extremely tight out of position, both in the hands I play and the hands I raise (which is usually 0%, with the exception of those for deceptive purposes).

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: the topic title AKo in NL? by DWwarrior sort've reminds me of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will look at it. Thanks!

Aseem