View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: How do you establish a loose image?

[ QUOTE ]
I play the standard 2+2 15-20% of the hands and everyone notices that I'm a rock b/c they all playing 40% of their hands. This still doesn't stop them from calling me down when I miss the flop w/overs but whenever I actually hit something, they seem to fold right away.

What do the rest of you guys do to portray a loose fun image w/out giving up EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrm...I don't deliberately try to create a loose/fun image, but I certainly do my best to keep the table friendly. I'm usually chatty at the table, but if you're not naturally talkative, I wouldn't spend time/energy trying to improve this less-than-vital poker skill.

It's hard to get people to believe you're not a tight player. Rather than fight the truth, I exploit my tight image. In other words, I'll occasionally bluff. Of course, you still have to keep in mind who you're bluffing. Your opponent has to realize that you're a tight player and are not likely to do this without the goods. If you win without a showdown, don't show your hand.

Check-raising the river when it's HU against a guy who isn't thrilled with his hand, respects your play, and is likely to fold the winner is a fantastic way to risk two bets. I'm successful with this move way more often than the odds require (even so, I don't do it very frequently -- maybe once every other session). It also helps if you've been running well and other players have been noticing. Players fear big stack aggression much more than they fear the same aggression from a little stack. Even at a limit game in a moderately large pot.