View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Moving to Washington, career advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
So the fiance and I have decided to move to Washington. I just graduated college with a 3.2 from PU. Now I need a job.

Most desired line of work would be in politics, preferably in a congressional office (yes I know I will be doing boring stuff and be paid poorly). I am also interested in working at a law firm as I plan on going to law school in '07.

How do I go about getting a job. It seems a stupid question but I honestly dont know as Ive never had one. I have a decent resume put together by a friend who works in HR. Any advice appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just hit the pavement/web, and talk to as many people as you can. I had no idea what to do to get my first job, because they dont train you teh nuts and bolts of how to actually find the leads (just how to interview etc), in college. I found that monster.com, the want ads, and going to networking events, were only OK compared to going out and meeting people on your own, however you know how. If it means calling someone that you havent talked to in awhile, or calling someone not necassarily in DC, but that can put you in touch with someone actually in DC, then do it.