View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: thoughts on marriage and money: am i totally off here?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I have less free time, disposable income, or sex in three years, it will be because we started a family

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see your point. All of the above happens to married people without children over time as well. It's not because you had kids - although I agree children will add another degree of difficulty.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this also happens to people who age, period. The immediate effect of getting married has been nothing but good. If in particular the sex life changes, I think I could identify the cause from among: busy with kids, just getting older, and general blase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Try some hot monkey love with that hot secretary at work or a 20 year old coed and post a trip report.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The 'more' income point is moot. It's not yours to spend however you like. You need to get permission from the Mrs. first and she has to agree that spending the money is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know we're doing things right in my marriage. I never see a cent of her money except for the common financial needs (house, utilities, kid). We contribute to joint checking for those things, the rest of what we make remains ours. She doesn't check with me when she wants new drapes, and I don't check with her when I want custom chips for that game we won't mention here.

Now I repeat my assertion that before having a kid I had more disposable income married than single.

[/ QUOTE ]

This joint checking account fails to explain how you had more money. Maybe you stopped eating out? Single people can cook too.