View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Anyone else do this?

[ QUOTE ]
If I get a good hand such as AK or KQs and raise, I almost always feel I have to keep betting after the flop no matter what it looks like. Just because I raised I feel I need to come out strong resulting in going way too far with nothing. Anyone else do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet is frequently appropriate, but you should be considering a lot of factors before doing it. For instance, you have AK UTG and raise. 3 people cold-call and the big blind calls. The flop is a whiff for you but contains some middle cards like J 9 5. I do not advise betting here. You have little chance of holding the best hand. One of the cold callers will likely bet and you can call getting 11 or 12 to 1 to try and catch your A or K. If you don't you may sadly find yourself checking and folding turn, but it's pretty tough to think you're ahead here assuming someone besides yourself called the flop and your outs are likely to be tainted.

When you're heads up a continuation bet (or possibly a check-raise if your opponent will reliably bet when checked to) is more or less mandatory. You have a great chance of holding the best hand right now and you're certainly not folding yet so I prefer continuing my aggression. Against two opponents I probably still bet assuming the board isn't too coordinated or possibly of it is extremely coordinated, but my reads on the players make a big difference. Against 3 opponents it really sucks and is highly dependent upon the opposition and my table image.