Thread: NL newbie
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2003, 12:55 AM

Default Re: NL newbie

[ QUOTE ]
The main starting differences Bob lists are pocket pairs and suited connectors are up in value. Just be careful with KQ KJ KT QJ QT AJ as they are trap hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I would refer to them as "get trapped" hands. Trap hands are the ones with which I lay traps.

Other than in terminology, I completely agree with JayP's point. The reason is that you want to make strong hands that you can bet with confidence, because the price of doing so and being wrong is far higher in PL/NL than it is in limit games. The hands listed above are the ones that make good hands that you will feel obligated to bet with, but will come in a good second-best dangerously often.

The other big difference from limit is that there is a whole new thing to think about: stack sizes. These strongly influence how you play, and even whether or not you play certain hands. In limit it hardly ever matters, because usually people won't be going all in during a hand. In no limit, it always matters. Is he deep enough to make your draw worthwhile, and will you get paid off if you make it? This is just one question you have to consider -- I know that I am just learning this aspect of the game and have barely scratched the surface.