View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: I just don\'t get it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll understand if I get a lot of "it's just like rooting for any other team sport" type responses

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd get this because, basically, that's wahat it is. Why do people revere the quarterbacks and the point guards, why do they buy the jerseys?

There's an adrenaline level that goes along with machines going at ridiculously high speeds, especially at the superspeedways like Talladega and Daytona. The drivers are incredibly skilled to do what they do - ever seen 3 cars wide at 165 on the highway, 3 inches apart?

This is most definitely a sport - direct competition between the drivers (And their teams). There's so much work involved in this thing, between fuel calculations, pit stop times, and car testing at each different track. Its not just a bunch of hicks putting a car out there and saying "Go faster, dammit!".

Oh yeah, and there's the crashes. Of course, I don't think I'm going to change your mind about this, but that's what I could come up with this morning, sick and dog-tired, getting ready for class.

See you in Sporting Events, when this goes there.