View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Turn check-raise w/ overcards. Standard?

[ QUOTE ]
I would consider folding to the flop bet but would probably call. Folding might be better, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding was NOT an option. Folding would be terrible poker IMHO! Awful! One guy bet when it was checked to him. That means, well... he's got two cards. Another guy called. That means he obviously didn't have a hand good enough to raise. When the action was back to me I had an EASY call. The pot was laying me 11-to-1 and I could still have the best hand and if I was behind, I often have 6 outs. On average maybe I have 4-5 outs. Nevertheless... folding was NOT an option!

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I would check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] that came on the turn card was not my dream card. The action after I checked would decide how I continued to play the hand. If UTG+2 had bet again I would probably have folded... maybe. If UTG+2 had bet and MP2 had called I think I would have had a clear fold though.

Now when UTG+2 checked and MP2 bet I had to decide what to do. Raise or fold? Calling was not an option. I can't let UTG or UTG+2 call with a made hand or a draw.

What about folding? Noone had showed any strength so far in the hand. By the action I knew UTG+2 didn't have a strong hand since he backed off when he was called on the flop. MP2 didn't have a hand strong enough to raise on the flop, but of course he could have a made hand. But people calls with so many strange holdings on the flop for one bet and betting the turn when checked to, doesn't mean much. UTG could have been helped by the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], it's hard to tell...

So why did I raise? If the turn card had been the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I would have had an EASY raise. The chances are just too great for me to consider folding in that case. Since the third club made an flush possible (and the 6 a straight) the decision was not as clear. But since noone had showed any strength so far and I could still have the best hand, or knock out the best hand, I decided to raise.